Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Weird Things

Sleep patterns and habits seem to be something that many people consider weird about themselves. Me too.

I fall sleep very quickly, sleep deeply and need a lot of sleep. My husband, who had problems falling asleep, couldn't believe I actually fell asleep so quickly. Sometimes he would talk to me after a few minutes and I would complain that he had woke me up. At first he didn't believe that I was actually asleep but then he learned to listen for my breathing to change and knew I was asleep. Recently, I discovered that my daughter actually beats me to sleep. She was sleeping (and purring) in less than a munite. (Suppose we were cats in our prior lives?)

I have always needed at least nine hours of sleep each night, often ten hours is better. And I am a very deep sleeper which means I am hard to wake up. I was a sleep-walker and bed-wetter as a child. I seldom hear storms at ngiht. Everyone said that when I had babies, this would change. I really don't know if this would have been true because my husband, who heard every sound, always woke me up saying, "Don't you hear the baby crying?" Maybe I continued my deep sleep since I knew he would be on watch for me throughout the night.

I can only go so long without sleep. When I reach my limit, there is no keeping me awake. I've laid down in airports and during late night talk sessions. I don't need a full dose of anesthesia and any drug that has a sleepy side-effect makes it impossible for me to stay awake. I've envied people who have extra hours during their day to do so many things, while I'm just snoozing away.

Sure interesting how many of us have "weird" sleep patterns and habits. Maybe the "weird" is normal and that rare "normal" person is the weird one. :) I meant to write about quilting today but guess it can wait until tomorrow. After all, sleep is a part of any good quilt. Right?

2 comments:

Finn said...

Actually I think sleep is a more important part of our daily lives than we ever think about.
I do envy you the ability to fall deeply asleep. I have a hard time falling asleep unless I am physically exhaused and then have trouble staying alseep.

And yes, there is always tomorrow. Hope you are feeling better each day!! Hugs, Finn

Hunter said...

Dear Husband is the one who falls right asleep. He wakes frequently throughout the night, though.

I take a couple of hours to go to sleep and only sleep a couple of hours at a time. I often watch Tigger sleep and I try to imagine what it would be like to sleep like that.

I hope you're feeling better and better Katie.

Darilyn