Monday, January 28, 2008


In My Kitchen
On the left of the first pic are some of my 'buys" from the rummage sale - the stainless steel tea pot for the stove and two large mugs. I love mugs with large handles which I can slide four fingers in to hold. The front cup with the bag in is the one I was using. On the right is a tea pot to pour the hot water into loose leaf tea. I bought it at a flea market while Shirley was here. The red box you see is some tea I bought at Christmas time. It is Grannie's Garden Fruit Melange and is very good.

In the bottom pic are Honey Bell oranges and Kumquats. These are the best oranges and are in peak season. So are the strawberries. umm good. We had homemade shortcake several times while Shirley was here. I like it with biscuits and fresh whipped cream. Sorry, no pic of the strawberries or shortcake. I figure the description is enough to make you buy a plane ticket to Florida.

Kumquats have a thin sweet peel with a tart center. You roll them in
your hand to release the oils and eat them like grapes. Chewing the peel and inside together makes a taste I really enjoy. I see they had a Kumquat Festival in Dade City. There are lots of recipes for them.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Hunter said...

Oh, my gosh Katie. I'll be catching up on your blog for weeks. So many beautiful quilts and I'm still so tickled about the response to your space quilt.

I'm off to read your archives.

I'm also already laughing at the results of humidity and such. If we don't use powdered creamer or instant tea or coffee quickly enough it turns into one solid, big chunk. LOL.

Thanks for visiting and for leaving a comment. I feel as though I'm coming back to life and I'm so going to enjoy catching up with your life.

Aloha and hugs.
Darilyn

Libby said...

Mmmmm, I just discovered the joy of kumquats a couple of years ago . . . maybe we should plant a tree *s*

Norma said...

Looks like you found some great "treasures" at your rummage sale.

Our oranges are great this time of year too. Only problem is in AZ, a lot of the orange groves have turned into housing developments. Our favorite citrus fruit grove with fruit stand has "For Sale" sigms all over.