Thursday, March 06, 2008


Kennedy Space Center

My friend Ann from MI is visiting me. No quilty things going on but some site-seeing is.

In the first pic, I am touching a moon rock. The pic is shot thu glass with light under it so not the best. I did turn off the flash which helped.

The other pics are of a Gemini module. You can walk very close and really see inside. They have a lot of memorabilia including personal items. I was most intrigued with the astronaut's notebook. I expected to see type written checklists. Oh, no. They were hand written. To remember how much of this was before computers really made me all the more impressed at what they did. I know so much of what we have today, especially in communications and medical technology, was developed by the space program. This is an example of government money very well spent. If you ever get a chance to visit Kennedy Space Center, don't miss it.



Thank you, thank you.

Spell checker is fixed!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Libby said...

I remember when the moon rock was a traveling exhibit that came to town. Folks were standing in lines for the longest time just to get a look *s*

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, lots of fun. That's a tour I really want to take some day. Have you seen From teh Earth to the Moon, the HBO series? Definitely worth your time - maybe your library has it.

Patti said...

I remember so many people for so many years complaining about spending our money this way. My reply was always just what you said - so many things were developed because of this program that probably wouldn't be here otherwise. That answer never satisifed them they always said we could do without those things. I find as I get older I get more and more impatient with people who seem to lack intelligence.

Norma said...

The space center is on the list to visit IF we ever get to retire. It was months away, now looks like longer with the scary economy.

Great comment on Finn's post. I shutter to think that we need to proofread what we write, we are friends communicating, that is all.

Where did you get your interest in the Space Program? I so enjoyed the Space quilt. Any plans to go visit it?

Finn said...

Sounds like a fun outing Katie! And a thrill to touch a moon rock. Have a wonderful visit with your friend and get back to the orphans when you can. Hugs, Finn