Tuesday, May 20, 2008


My Mother Made These

My mother was very talented with her hands. These are a couple doilies she made after she retired. She taught school and was happy after she retired and could work with her needles. I've been cleaning my bedroom today so I washed the doilies and ironed them a little. I know they should be starched and ironed good but at least they are clean and back in place.

I was inspired to get my bedroom clean after buying a new vacuum sweeper. My old one is about 20 years old and is held together with duct tape. It is a Hoover upright with 18 amps. It could really pick up dirt but was now throwing half of it back into the air. I've been trying to bring myself to buy a new one for several years now. With my government incentive check in hand, I went shopping. Last Friday I went to Sears to look vacuums over and try them out. I knew I wanted one with a bag and thought about getting a tank type one. Then I found the last of the discontinued upright Hovers with self propulsion. My old one had this and I loved it. So I bought it. It also has a small beater attachment which is perfect for getting to the dog hair against the wall. I don't know how much my $200 will help the economy. It was two o'clock and my sale was the first one the clerk had made all day. And she was covering several departments. So many stores are now closed. The rest of my incentive check went into the bank for now. What are you doing with yours?

Another thing Mom was good at was tatting with a shuttle. In her retirement years, she made these cards. I loved the clowns she made. They have a soda (we call it pop here in Michigan) can for the body. It is filled with sand. The clowns can be moved to many different positions. They always brighten any room.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sweet P said...

Your mom was a very talented lady. Her work is gorgeous.

We won't even get our rebate check until November because we filed for an extension. It will probably be used for Christmas presents then.

Libby said...

Hadn't much thought about the 'rebate' check. I suppose it will just go in the bank and slowly but surely be applied to the commuter gas tank *s*

The Calico Cat said...

Since you asked, our check went right into the baby fund account.

I have some old doilies that my great grand mother made & I love them.

Tanya said...

Love the doily. One time I saw a very clever way of displaying doilies in a wire hoop and hung in the window. So nice to see the outside scenery through the lace. I've yet to try making a doily however...

Norma said...

I tagged you, but if you aren't interested, just ignore the tag. I never know who will want to play along but thought you might.