Sunday, September 28, 2008


Book of Blog Posts

My book of blog posts during 2006 has arrived and I am most pleased.
The cover is shiny and did not photograph well but there it is. Click on the open book to see it better.

When they download (if that is the right word for it here) each post was on a separate page. This left a lot of blank space. I wanted to move them together and I did it by copy and paste. Sometimes the program would kick me off and I didn't want to loose any posts during that, so I used copy rather then cut. Of course then I had to delete, too. Took more time but.... Anyway, I cut 250 pages down to 194 and still left room for me to write comments here and there after the book was printed.

There are many custom techniques available but I stayed with the ones they offered. (Remember I am very challenged on the computer.) There are several and you can mix and match them. By doing this I made some pictures smaller and others larger. The program will tell you if you have selected a size that will blur it. You can just choose a smaller one. When I finished the book, it told me I had six pictures that were blurry and I should reduce the size of them. I didn't bother and now I can't figure out which ones they are. A page with just four pictures makes excellent pictures. You can comment under each pic too. A page with two pics and writing is also very good. I had choices of formats with the pics in various places on the page.

The color is good. I choose to put a thin black border around each picture and I like that. I choose an easy to read font and made everything bold. The original made everything in a small letter size so I had to highlight it all and change it. There might be a way to do the whole book at one time but I couldn't find it. I enlarged the headings, I think to 14. The body of the post was 12 and I made the date/time small and a different font. I like that. For most things I like 1 1/2 spacing lines but for this I used single spacing. It is very easy to read, especially with the bold and larger size print.

You can also choose page colors and backgrounds. Other than my cover, I stayed with plain white. The pages are automatically numbered.

Now I think I should have proofed the posts. But they were posted on my blog with all the errors so....

Overall I'm pleased with my book. Computer screens are nice but there is something special about a book to hold in your hands. And this is a great back up. I haven't been able to figure any way to do that to a disc so...

I don't know when I'll get to doing a 2007 book but I want to.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Tanya said...

LOOKS GREAT!!! I'm glad this worked out for you because though I was happy with the results I don't know how others would feel and it is a lot of money. It really looks nice though and I bet we'll both be very happy having a book in our hands. I have yet to finish editing 2007 (sort of burned out right now) but seeing your book makes me want to get back to it.

Joyce said...

I am seriously thinking of doing that too. Yours turned out so well that now I definitely want one too. Can you remind me of the name of the program you used?

Hunter said...

Your book looks great.

If I ever have a year when my blog seems worth it, I'd love to do this.

I don't think I'll ever like reading info online as much as I like to hold a book in my hands.

Thank you for sharing.

Darilyn

Sweet P said...

Your book looks wonderful! I've looked at blurb, but haven't used it yet.