Sunday, September 21, 2008
I have finished my first orphan quilt and the first of my New Year's Eve challenge quilts. I started with some abandoned pinwheel blocks and used scraps to make all kinds of others. I had never made a row quilt before so I guess that makes it another first. Three for one. Alright!
I added top and bottom borders for a finished quilted size of 39 x 58". I probably should have added borders on the sides too but it is an okay size for a child's utility quilt. I used the same border fabric on the back.
I quilted it on my sewing machine with a regular foot. My walking foot was hiding and unavailable. I did some adjustments and thought it was going to work fine. And I think it may have if I had done a lot of pinning. But I was too lazy, and instead I did some spray basting which resulted in some very uneven quilting. I do like the method of just sewing forward, stopping with needle down, making a slight turn, using the back stitch to sew a short distance, again stopping with needle down and finally pivoting so the next forward line crosses the first line. Another time I would definitely pin, pin, pin and make the quilting pattern larger. I wonder if it would have been as fast to tie it.
Anyway, this quilt allowed me to let my creative spirit run wild and that was so very much fun.