Monday, June 12, 2006


Another Oldie but Goodie
I should know the name of this pattern but can't think of it just now and I'm too busy to go look it up. This is another of the quilts my mother had saved. It is 72 inches square and hasn't been used. Either two colors of muslin were used for the background or some of it has now
aged more. I'm glad I got it out now as it needs refolded with acid free tissue paper. As you'll see in the close up views in the next posting, it was made in 1930, the year my mother graduated from High School. I have no idea who the initials are. It is also possible that my mother bought this quilt a little later. After attending Central Michigan College in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, for a year she began teaching in rural schools. She lived -around which meant that she stayed with the families of her students. But she was also paid some money. My mother had two red and white quilts that were beautiful. She kept them unused too but I saw them. She said she bought them from a woman who sold them to get money to pay the taxes so they wouldn't lose their farm. These quilts were lost when my mother gave them to a lady who collected old quilts for a local museum. Soon after I found out my mother have given the quilts to her, I went to the lady to find out more about what was happening with the quilts. I found out the lady gave them to someone who lived in Chicago. I tried to get them back but she wouldn't give me the name of the person who got them. I'm sure she knew it. I was told the lady who got the quilts had wanted an old quilt for some time and the lady that my mother gave them to decided the quilts were made in a slightly different area than her museum so she gave them away. I was really sad about the loss of these quilts - the ones I knew the story about. Anyway, it made me think that my mother might have bought this quilt too. But she never told me anything about this one so my best guess is this was a graduation gift.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Hi Katie - beautiful quilts - and sad that you couldn't trace the missing two. At least you have these - it must be nice to have the one with the red stars as part of your family history.