Friday, June 09, 2006


Old Bow Ties
This is an unfinsihed piece consisting of 81 blocks of 7 inches. The blocks are intricately hand sewed and they are combined using a machine. The hand sewing is very accurate but the machine work was not done so accurately. It makes me wonder if the same person did both.

The fabrics are wonderful. Some are so thin.
There are so many interesting fabrics that I think I will photograph all of them. The most unique one is the alphabet.

I believe this was made in the 1920's or 1930's. What do you think? Probably hard to know from a pic, huh?

I am fairly certain that this was done by someone in my mother's family but not sure who or when. I have old finsihed quilts that I will show soon. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Finn said...

This is an absolute treasure Katie!! I see what you mean about how well the hand piecing is done. You could conside taking out the machine sewing, but that's a personal choice. I'm guessing they were pieced by one person, and then sewed together by someone once they had a treadle. The tiny tight stitching often indicates a treadle machine.
And they are waaaaaaaay older than 1920 or 1930. My thinking is that the alphabet fabric, which a amazing...is probably from the Victorian era...so mid to late 1850's 60's, and I think it runs up til just after 1900. It has a very Victorian look to it, and it's not a reproduction.
Would there be any aunts or uncles who might remember the bow ties???