Sunday, June 11, 2006


Close up of Blocks
This block indicates the date. I remember hearing the name Denslow mentioned but I don't believe they are relatives.
T Posted by Picasa

This is my mother's block. She was 15 years old. I think this quilt was made for her. Her birthday was in April so it is not to celebrate that. She would have graduated 8th grade from the country school she rode a horse to get to and would then be attending Weidman High School. Could it just be a "hope chest" quilt?


Since there is no block made by my grandmother, I think this is hers. It would make sense that she would just sign "mother", if the quilt is for her daughter, my mother.


This is my mother's aunt, (father's sister). My mother was named after her.

I located a historical museum near where the people who made this quilt lived (northwest corner of Isbella County, Michigan)and planned to make arrangements to donate it to them. Before I could get more information, I was asked to exhibit it in the Planetarium at the Crossroads Quilt Show in September. All the quilts there must have a star theme.

3 comments:

Finn said...

Wonderful quilt Katie, how nice to have something that ties you do directly to the quilters in your family.

What a gift that is sooo pristine. And with names embroidered..marvelous!

Tonya Ricucci said...

What a marvelous bit of history. Great quilt. I hope you can find out more information about all the folks mentioned. Very exciting that it's actually YOUR family and not strangers.

YankeeQuilter said...

Thanks for sharing your quilts. The star quilt with the embroidered names is wonderful!

Siobhan