Monday, November 13, 2006

Today's Block
Here is my version of fifty-four forty or fight. I have no idea why I thought I wanted it as a rectangle. Oh, well, it is 12 by 18 so will fill some space anyway. I made templates for the star and if I ever made it again, I'd probably paper piece it. Of course I have the templates made now. And making it the standard square way would be much easier too. I think quilt names are so interesting. The name of this one came from the political battle about the border between Canada and the U.S. during President Polk's administration.
I've thought about making a quilt with these historical blocks but then I think about making lots of quilts. Now I can say I made one such block anyway. Looking at my block, it almost looks like how some of our current voting districts are drawn up. :) Oh, dear, I hope I didn't give some current politician an idea. VBS Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Hi Katie - I just found you. Thanks for a lovely visit. I enjoyed hearing your "hunting" comments on another BLOG, and all the photos of the island.

I am a firm believer in using telephone book pages for stabilizing fabrics. Come by and visit me, and see my Telephone Book Quilts, my earliest postings.

quiltpixie said...

you did a great job of creating the pattern as a rectangle without distorting the four patches... It'll fit into an orphan block quilt or be an intersting centre for a medallion quilt one day :-)

Libby said...

Your block looks good -- I love how it is elongated. You never know when just the right spot will come along for it to fit into.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Hey that rectangle version is pretty cool! I like it!

Finn said...

Hi Katie, your block looks great! It's a block I have made, always as a square tho..LOL. It's interesting as a rectangle...*VBS*
Now you could move right on to Lincoln's Platform or Tippacanoe and Tyler too maybe??
OK, I'll stop helping....Hugs, Finn