Friday, February 17, 2006

Old Sewing Machine

I try to stay away from yard and garage sales. It's hard for me to resist old things. But a couple years ago I went to a rummage sale and saw this sewing machine. The case was nothing special and I might have been able to resist it but I thought I know who had owned it. Later I checked and I found out I was wrong, so the woman who used this machine is unknown. The thing that really appealed to me was that it was just as she had left it. Some items left in the drawer and in the green plastic box under the seat cushion indicated it had been used recently.
There are lots of books about how women keep their treasured quilts for years. These precious old machines produced many of them. The machines were so often kept that they are plentiful and have little antique value. But, at least for me, they connect me with the women who used them.
My favorite thing left in the seat container is a hand- made pin cushion. It appears to have been made by a child. Was this made by the sewer's child or even grandchild? Or could it be her own?

The machine is a Singer and I don't see a date. There is no book for the machine but there is one for the button hold attachment and it is dated 1939-1940. The book says: Modern Sewing is Different. Modern Singer sewing methods and sewing equipment bring you new enjoyment, new speed and ease in sewing. Today Singer Electric Machines are practically automatic. All you need do is guide the material. Quietly, smoothly, under perfect control, the machines sew forward or backward at the flick of a hand lever, do darning and embroidery work without special attachments, wind bobbins while you sew, create professional dressmaker effects without special skill on your part.
I have no idea how you would do embroidery work. I guess just sew back and forth.

4 comments:

Hunter said...

Oh, what a treasure. I would just love to have an old Singer. (There aren't too many where I live.)

I had to come and find your blog. I'm going to link to you so I can visit every day.

I love the Oriental quilt. Some of the prettiest things start out as "accidents." I love the way the blue material looks.

Take care.
Darilyn
(Tropical Screamer)

Finn said...

Good Morning Katie, and what a cold one it is up here in the frozen north. Did you see we are hovering in the -30's this morning? With wind chill in addition..MI should have it by tomorrow..be glad you are in FL..LOL.

I love the old sewing machine.and am so glad it landed with you..*VBS* It should be with someone who apprciates it..*S* How neat to have the woman's things just as she left them. I have an odd assortment in my sewing chair draw also, but never thought of what someone else would think of the items..neat sharing..thank you!

Nines said...

I found you via Darilyn in Hawaii- a long way from Florida and the plains of Indiana. Strange, but i bought this same machine a few years ago at an auction for $12. I had to let it go- as you say- there are a lot of them out there and only so much room in our crowded house. It didn't work as it needed to be rewired, but i wish I knew how to do such things. As it is, I kept the stool- the same as yours. I love your asian inspired quilt top in the works. Orange is a favorite of mine.

R said...

Hello! I might be able to help you find information about your Singer and some of the attachments if you like... even the embroidery you mention. Sounds like you're a sentiment at heart like me. ;)