Sunday, February 19, 2006

Pin Cushion
If someone in the future looked through my sewing machine things, what would they wonder about me? Probably most of all, they would wonder about my pin cushion. Actually it is two pincushions put together. The chair, made from a tuna can, was made and given to me by my sister-in-law about 20 years ago. The doll was made and given to me by a fellow worker about 10 years ago. I joined them and added a few extras and named her Suzie. My favorite pin is the flower pin. Guess that explains why there is only one there now. This pin is so easy to find and handle and I love that it lets the fabric lay flat. I also love a very thin but regular length pin I use for applique. I tried to find some of them again but since I don't know exactly what they are, I wasn't able to. I bought some labeled for applique but they have round heads and don't let the fabric lay as flat as I like. I also can't find the needle I love. I have no idea where it came from. It is also very thin but has an oval hole. The ladies at the fabric shops think it probably is an embroidery needle. I also have a needle that has a point that is shaped like a spear - flat on two sides. It is great for sewing through many layers of fabric. I also like using bee's wax for my thread when doing applique. I also love a small metal ruler showing many different distances including 1/8 and 1/4 inch. It is currently off working somewhere. Suzie better find it again and put it where it belongs on her back. I have duplicated most of my sewing tools so I have one set in MI and one here in FL but I carry Suzie in a plastic shoe box in my suitcase when I move between my homes. I always have the two allowed suitcases when I fly. One is full of fabric and other sewing things. The other suitcase has foods I can't get here in Fl. Clothes? They aren't very important and I can always buy them wherever I am. Oh me, the joys of a snow bird! (Turn off that violin music! :))

Hint: Having trouble treading a needle? Turn the needle around. They are drilled from one side and finding that side makes the thread go through easier.

I am making good progress on the two quilts I'm currently working on - the oriental one and the blue one I am doing applique on. I guess I haven't told about it yet. Soon.....

8 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Katie, this is a neat post. i also have favorites of pin cushions, and have been give many over the years. I think if you do a search engine with Clover typed in, you'll find the company that makes many of the sewing/quilting accessories. I'm thinking I saw those flower head pins there, and also in the Keepsake Catalog. You can find Keepsake online also. Not sure about the needle but it does sound like an embroidery needle. Main thing is that it works for you and you like it..*VBS*'
Love your comment about the 2 suitcases..you definitely have things in the right order..LOL Hugs, Finn

Hunter said...

I have really been amazed at how many kinds of needles and pins there are.

I finally found "straw" needles that I like only to find out that there are different kinds of straw needles.

Regardless, I couldn't get any of them threaded without my Clover desk needle threader. I bought a spare just in case mine every breaks.

Now I'm off to look for some flower pins. I can't stand the round headed ones. LOL.

Hugs.
Darilyn

Nancy said...

I love the flower head pins too! My sister turned me onto them a few years ago when she came to visit and I haven't used anything else since.

And thanks for the top for threading a needle. I've never heard it before and plan to try next time I have trouble.

Finn said...

Come back soon Katie, we miss you!

Hunter said...

Thinking of you Katie.

Hugs.
Darilyn

Finn said...

Thinking of you there in cold, cold Michgian...Hugs, Finn

Come back soon *VBS*

Cher said...

love the suitcases filled with the important stuff- quilty that is!
I too have a favorite pincushion, though not as fun as yours! I am sure she is much needed for you to feel all is right with your quilting world. I love my clover needle threader-works like a charm every time.

Hunter said...

Sending thoughts your way Katie. And missing you. :)

Hugs.
Darilyn