Saturday, February 11, 2006

A People and Their Quilts
For Christmas my oldest daughter gave me this book. She bought it in Appalachia while vacationing there last summer. I love it.
It is written by John Rice Irwin. The blurb describing it says, "Quilts are a reflection of the people who make, use, and cherish them through the years.... Here, in their own language, is a firsthand account of a people and their art.... He explores their ambitions and aspirations, their struggles and disappointments..... This lavishly illustrated volume is a treasure trove of creative needlework, colorful anecdotes, and intriguing personal histories which will entertain readers of all ages."
I have been flipping through it reading here and there. It's a book to read a little, study the pictues and then muse. Today I enjoyed the whole chapter on Old Homesteads and Their Quilts. The chapter begins, "When a person admires the beauty, art, and workmanship of a quilt he surely wonders about its background, the people who made it, and the location and type of home from which it came." The stories include pictures of those homes and the women who made them so many years ago.
This book was published by Schiffer Publishing, Ltd. in 1984. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves quilting or American history.




1 comment:

Finn said...

Hello again..it's just me..*VBS*..popping in to say hi and see what you are up to. I, also, have this book, and love it. There is such a wistfulness to the people, the manner in which they accept the hardships of their lives..it just calls out to me. I admire their strength, and their determination to make their quilts, no matter what. We have it so easy today, by comparison.
It definitely is a book to read abit, and then muse about. One of the reasons I love hand quilting so much, is the freedom it gives me think about things...*VBS* So happy you've joined us in the blogging world..*VBS*