Saturday, May 13, 2006


Big Block
This picture doesn't show the correct color at all. It is a neat sea green and the stone pattern that shows better in the close up. The two colors really compliment each other.

I was cleaning/sorting my sewing room and found a picture of a quilt
from an advertisement I had cut out years ago. I just had to stop and make it. I can stop cleaning for any reason but this seemed like a really good one. I have been watching for a pattern to use to make a quilt that I promised I'd bring back to Florida next winter to be used for a raffle.

The picture I have shows contrasting sashing and I'm wondering about the dark red leaf strip. I'm also considering keeping just the two colors. They really compliment each other, which sure doesn't show in the picture. My digital camera does some funny things sometimes. The block is 30" and the picture shows six of them with the sashing and a border. I laid the block on point and it has great possibilities that way too. Any ideas as to how to design it, if I do it on point?

Since this is a donation, I really don't want to pay to have it long arm quilted and am thinking about doing "quilt as you go" with my sewing machine. I've never done this before but I think I understand it. Any suggestions? Maybe the on-point idea won't work for that. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Hunter said...

I have a book that really explains one quilt as you go technique. It shows how to use the method to make reversible quilts. Do you want me to find the book so I can send you the name?

I love the colors and bet that will be stunning when it's done.

Darilyn

Katie said...

Thanks. I think I understand the combining of the blocks. What I'm not sure about is how to quilt each one. I thought about just going around the inside of each dark one, but the light color probably needs something too and I'm afraid the stitching there will show. Any idea what I could do in the middle of the light - something that would look okay if it isn't stitched too good? thanks