Thursday, May 11, 2006

First Puzzle
(Sorry about the layout of this post. I am tired of trying to rearrange it and loosing the pictures.)

This is the first bed size quilt I ever started. It is 67 x 77 inches. I began it in 1998 and finished it only a couple years ago. I got the pattern from a teacher where I was taking a class. I have no idea the name of it but it sure looks like it should be called a puzzle. I'm not sure but I think the teacher made up the pattern and now I can't even remember her name and the shop is closed. It looks like each color (four pieces) makes a block but actually each block is make of four different colors. The pattern I had was paper and from it I made patterns of cardboard so I had to keep making new ones as I trimmed off bits. The right and left are identical but transposed. The top and bottom look like they are the same pattern but aren't. Must be they are transposed too. Anyway, it was not the smartest pattern for my first quilt. I also didn't use a short enough stitch and good fabric. But I do like my color choices. I also figured out how to make the edge blocks out of the dark blue. And I found some dark blue mix fabric for the back. I had it long arm quilted with my old standard of loops. I like the dark thread it is quilted with. Anyway I like the quilt and although often frustrating, I also enjoyed the process of making it. (Keep looking for more pics.)



2 comments:

Hunter said...

This quilt and the quilt from yesterday are so beautiful. It definitely does look like a puzzle.

The quilting is so pretty, too.

Darilyn

Finn said...

Hi Katie, what a neat pattern this quilt is...*VBS* I like your color choices also. It definitely look like it could be called Puzzler..LOL