Thursday, August 24, 2006
Saga of Machine Quilting
I have been trying to learn to machine quilt. These are my scrappy blocks I've shown before. I put them together into three parts. Each was 18 1/2 inches wide and 74 inches long. I sandwiched each section. I sure don't have that down yet. I pulled, ironed, pinned, and did it over and over. I thought I heard 100% cotton Warm & Natural was suppose to be easy to work with. sigh. Then I used my walking foot and made big curves down and back. It didn't work well and I got too much puckering. I cut some of the stitches and redid. I learned I needed to hold the fabric tight even with a million pins and a walking foot. I'm wondering about using those gloves I've seen. Do any of you use them? When I had all three sections done -avoiding the edges, I sewed the top to the top using 1/4 inch. Next time I would allow a half inch. Then I cut the batting to butt together and zig zagged it. Then I hand sewed the backing together. To my great surprise, it was a nice rectangle. Then I sewed the red to the blue border and cut batting and backing this size. This time I laid the top border over the top of the quilt and the back border over the back and sewed it all on at once. Then I zig zagged the batting together. I hand sewed the corners together. I decided to try meandering using my darning foot. Oh, me. Not only were the sitches various lengths but sometimes the tension wasn't right. Yes, I had practiced and it was okay then. I decided I wanted this quilt done and Kipper has been wanting a quilt so this would be his. After doing about half of the border, I decided to try the walking foot and played with some things. Then I unsewed the meandering and did this stitch with the walking foot all the way around. I sewed forward and then pressed the reverse for a while and then forward again. It did a good job of keeping the sandwich from bunching up. I can see where I might be able to make stars or some actual design in the future. I sewed the binding on before taking the pics but haven't hand sewn it down yet. See the next posting for more pics. Well now I have a utility quilt. It is a finished size of 86 x 69.